Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Dirk Lloyd strikes again!

3.5 Stars

While I was amused but not blown away by the first book, I noticed the sequel to Jamie Thompson (cough) I mean DIRK LLOYD's junior novel, "Dark Lord, The Early Years" was available on Net Galley. I decided it could be a fun light read for my upcoming trip to Scotland. 

I was still not blown away by the book, but I don't think that is the point in this series. In fact I would have to say, this book hit it's stride with me where the first one missed the dance. 

The book recaps briefly what we learned in the first. The Dark Lord (think Sauron or Voldemort) or the Darklands was stripped of his powers and send to our world in the body of a twelve year old human boy. Still with some (very weakened) powers in tact, the Dark Lord was renamed "Dirk Lloyd" and sent to live as a foster son with the Purejoie family who were thought the best fit for an emotionally disturbed and delusional child. 

The story picks up where the last one left off. Sooz, Dirk's goth friend (NOT girlfriend!) was sent back to the Darklands in Dirk's place when the ritual to send him home was meant to transport only the one who wore the ring of power. Dirk had given it to Sooz in the first book only to have her make a copy to give to Dirk when he wanted it back. With the ring on her hand Sooz is confused to be Dirk's betrothed. Her gentle but dark personality charms the Dark Lord's minions. This is including Gargon, Dirk's most loyal creature, the head of the goblins and even Rufino who is a Paladin under the rule of Hasburdan (think Gandalf). 

You see, while Sooz insists on repainting Dirk's Iron tower black (Hasburdan had it painted pink in the Dark Lord's exile) she also introduces a five day work week and other amenities of our developed world that the evil Dark Lord would have never approved. Sadly for Sooz, Hasburdan still considers her evil and pledges to attack. 

Meanwhile, in our world, Dirk and his foster brother Christopher desperately try to find the means to contact Sooz and bring her home. There is some real hilarity that comes from this venture and it is different from the humor in the first book. In fact there are quite a few things that worked in this book that were absent in the first. 

While the first had a fun "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" written by Sauron thing going for it, I found myself at a real distance from the characters. Sure, Sooz was kind of sweet, but I didn't really give two figs about Chris or even the protagonist, Dirk. The unlikable hero niche that made Greg Heffley's antics so popular didn't really click for me in Dirk's case because he is more aware of his bad qualities than Greg. 

This book managed to actually make me care about Dirk, which surprised me. It also broke from the diary format which was a good breather and added some moderate depth to Dirk's motivation. Chris was still a little stiff, but I felt a definite shift in the way I felt about him. 

With a few laugh out loud moments throughout, I can say for sure that I hope the Dark Lord will reign for another volume or two.

Mwa hahahahaha!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment